Publishing your own work has never been easier, but easy is a relative term as co-hosts Glenn Fleishman and Matthew Amster-Burton discuss. Glenn recently produced a hardcover book with ebook and print-on-demand editions. Matthew has a series of ebooks underway. The two have both worked with conventional publishers in the past. The devil is in the many thousands of details: one wrong move and countless hours can be wasted.
Sponsor: This podcast is made possible through the generous support of MailChimp, which is underwriting our first six episodes. MailChimp lets you manage email lists of any size. They also make hats for cats and dogs.
Let us know what you think and your ideas for future shows: send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Magazine: The Book ultimately appeared in three editions:
The fork is your enemy.
- Started with Hungry Monkey
- Turned rejection into self-publishing
- Fan base from Spilled Milk Podcast
- Freelance food writer
Things publishers consider:
- No guarantee of sales
- Niche market is tricky and risky
- Profit and loss
The Magazine: The Book:
- Subscribers help as patrons
- Kickstarter lessons learned: long post-mortem published on Medium
- Dance troupe analogy
Know your audience:
- Don't overestimate the size of your audience
- Don't underestimate the size of your audience
Why crowdfund and not self-fund?
- Copyediting expenses
- Cover design expenses
- Vanity project
- Is there another way?
- To gauge interest
- Pre-sales are awesome
- Looks are pretty damn important
Pages from Apple is pretty decent.
The quality of bookiness
- Interface to words and thoughts
Budget needs to cover
- Developmental editing
- Cover design
- Interior design
Glenn's tip: Choose the correct trim size!
Matthew and Glenn's Saga of Unintended Budget Consequences
Print budget additionally needs to cover:
- Printing (for offset)
- Shipping (for offset). Note: International shipping will cost a million dollars.
- Startup costs (for some print-on-demand providers)
- Additional cover and interior design
- ISBNs (may also need for ebook)
- ISBNs image (EPS, typically)
Kickstarter price discrimination
Glenn's thoughts on The Magazine: The Book, Year 2.
Amazon's inertia, power and domination
Thoughts on distribution
Glenn's New Disruptors podcast episode with Ada's Bookstore owner
Matthew's new ebook: Child Octopus
Book thoughts: Matthew vs. Glenn
For immortality, choose wisely.